Connection between pages

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:41 PM

I'm trying to have a list do two things.  When i click on a link of the list item, i want it to take the user to a search page containing the search term of it's display, which i can easily do using a hyperlink.  however i also want it to send just the title to the connectable page viewer so that i can have it load a specific link. 

For example.  User clicks "Quality Control" in the list.  It takes the user to a search page with "Quality Control" as the keyword/facet.  In the same page, the page viewer is showing the Quality Control home page as the user reviews the search items.

Any suggestions?  Is this control connectable to a webpart on a different page?  I try doing this in SharePoint designer and the optino to connect to a WP on another page is greyed out.  Thanks!

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2009 at 3:27 PM

It doesn't look like it is allowing cross page connections.  Let me take a look at that and see if I can get it working.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Okay, thanks a bunch!  Standing by...

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Hey JoeD, i've been searching like crazy across the interwebs for something that would pass a url from a list webpart to a web page viewer webpart to put together a few training resources. Did you ever make further progress from this user's request? Is this something that can be done do you know?

Coordinator
Mar 16, 2010 at 3:57 PM
squeak - I did look into it, but my Page Viewer web part implements the IRowConsumer interface to get the data from the connection, and cross page connections do not work with IRowConsumer. The web part would need to be reworked to get the connection values using the IParametersOutConsumer or IParametersInConsumer interface. I haven't fully researched it, so I don't know if that would restrict the web parts that you could connect to the Page Viewer (they would need to send the data using the IParametersOutProvider/IParametersInProvider interface). Cross page connections are not as "generic" as the other types of connections.