Content from Links does not display

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:05 PM
Edited Jun 11, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Greetings Joe,

Great web part, no issues installing, however I think I'm missing something.  I've connected both the links and Connected Page Viewer parts to each other and have checked the Use Links List entry, but nothing renders in the connected page viewer part.  Am I missing something?  Thanks for your time.

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2010 at 6:48 PM

What do you have in the URL field in the config of the Connected Page Viewer web part?

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Joe,

Thanks for getting back so quickly.  I currently have nothing in the URL as I was under the impression the check box to connect to the links list made that unnecessary.  Can you tell me what it should be?

Regards,

Joe

Sent: Friday, June 11, 2010 11:49 AM
To: Joe Richers
Subject: Re: Content from Links does not display [ConnectablePgViewer:215749]

What do you have in the URL field in the config of the Connected Page Viewer web part?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (ConnectablePgViewer@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email ConnectablePgViewer@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2010 at 6:56 PM

You need something in the URL field.

If you are connecting to a Links list, then the whole URL comes in via the connection along with the description, so just specify {1} in the URL and it will go to the URL passed.

This is from the Release Notes on the Downloads page:

This version has a new option in the web part configuration labeled "Connect to Links List?". Check this option when the connection is from a list view web part on a WSS Links list.

This will look for a comma in the data received from the connection and truncate the data at that point. This is necessary because the Links list sends both the URL and description together, separated by a comma.

For example, it sends "http://msdn.microsoft.com, MSDN", so if you use {1} as the URL in the Connectable Page Viewer web part, without this new option it would try to navigate to that URL which is invalid. When this new option is checked, it will truncate at the comma and just use http://msdn.microsoft.com.

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Joe,

Apologies, did not read that carefully in the release notes.  However, now I get a website cannot display the page error.  HTTP 500 Internal Server error.

BTW this Is on a WSS 3.0 site.

Sent: Friday, June 11, 2010 11:56 AM

You need something in the URL field.

If you are connecting to a Links list, then the whole URL comes in via the connection along with the description, so just specify {1} in the URL and it will go to the URL passed.

This is from the Release Notes on the Downloads page:

This version has a new option in the web part configuration labeled "Connect to Links List?". Check this option when the connection is from a list view web part on a WSS Links list.

This will look for a comma in the data received from the connection and truncate the data at that point. This is necessary because the Links list sends both the URL and description together, separated by a comma.

For example, it sends "http://msdn.microsoft.com, MSDN", so if you use {1} as the URL in the Connectable Page Viewer web part, without this new option it would try to navigate to that URL which is invalid. When this new option is checked, it will truncate at the comma and just use http://msdn.microsoft.com.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (ConnectablePgViewer@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email ConnectablePgViewer@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Check the option in the web part to display the URL and see what is coming through.

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:38 PM

URL displays the following:  URL: {1}

Sent: Friday, June 11, 2010 12:32 PM

Check the option in the web part to display the URL and see what is coming through.

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2010 at 7:40 PM

It sounds like you either didn't check the "Connect to Links List?" option or the list isn't connect to the web part correctly.

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Joe,

Well I don’t see any other misconfigurations.  I will play around with this over the weekend and see if I can figure out the root cause of failure.  I’ll post back Monday whether or not I get it to  work.

Thanks for your time.

Sent: Friday, June 11, 2010 12:41 PM

It sounds like you either didn't check the "Connect to Links List?" option or the list isn't connect to the web part correctly.

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:33 PM

This is an old thread but I've just had the same problem with the 500 Internal Server error.

Did you resolve this problem at all?

Regards,

Per